Nebraska already has a lot to offer Veterans and their families — from abundant job opportunities to affordable living, safe communities, and plenty of chance for adventure. But now there’s even more to like, with the Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs (NDVA) and State leaders taking new steps to become one of the best states in America for our men and women in uniform.
Better-than-ever benefits for Veterans living in or relocating to Nebraska, include
- 100% exemption of military retirement pay from state income taxation
- Quicker and easier teaching permits for military spouses and personnel. This is in addition to other occupational license reforms to make it easier for realtors, healthcare workers, lawyers, and more to work and build a life in Nebraska
- Vets Get Pets license plates which raise funds to help veterans pay pet adoption fees
NDVA has also launched a slew of new services designed to make it easy for Veterans and retired and active military personnel and their families to find great jobs in Nebraska. The Nebraska Veterans’ Gateway provides a suite of tools to help Veteran job-seekers and their families transition to civilian life in Nebraska.
- A Resource Expert, which can introduce Veterans to the numerous employment and training resources available to them and their families.
- A Job Converter Tool, which can identify civilian equivalents to military occupational service codes.
- A Job Search Function, which is provided through the Nebraska Department of Labor’s popular NEWorks platform.
- Additional resources through the USVA, Nebraska Department of Labor, and Nebraska State Jobs.
Also check out NDVA’s new Virtual Veteran Service Officer live chat feature, which enables Veterans to connect virtually with a State Veteran Service Officer for help filing claims, appealing decisions, getting answers to questions, completing USVA forms, and more. The chat feature is available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and is found on the NDVA homepage.