Nebraska already has a lot to offer Veterans and their families — from abundant job opportunities to affordable living, safe communities and plenty of chance for adventure. But now there’s even more to like, with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (NDVA) and State lawmakers taking new steps to become one of the best states in America for our men and women in uniform.
Two new laws are providing better-than-ever benefits for Veterans living or locating in Nebraska, with expanded tuition assistance and new tax breaks passed just this year.
- The first piece of new legislation, LB450, expands undergraduate tuition assistance for Veterans attending school in-state from 75 to 100%. Tuition assistance for graduate programs also increases to 50%. Click here to learn more.
- A second bill, LB153, exempts 50% of Veterans’ military retirement benefits from state income tax. Click here to learn more about LB153.
NDVA has also launched a slew of new services designed to make it easy for Veterans and retired and active military personnel and their families to find great jobs in Nebraska.
The Nebraska Veterans’ Gateway provides a suite of tools to help Veteran job-seekers and their families transition to civilian life in Nebraska. These include:
- A Resource Expert, who can introduce Veterans to the numerous employment and training resources available to them and their families.
- A Job Converter Tool, which can identify civilian equivalents to military occupational service codes.
- A Job Search Function, which is provided through the Nebraska Department of Labor’s popular NEWorks platform.
- Additional resources through the USVA, Nebraska Department of Labor and Nebraska State Jobs.
Also check out NDVA’s new Veteran Service Officer live chat feature, which enables Veterans to connect virtually with a State Veteran Service Office for help filing claims, appealing decisions, getting answers to questions, completing USVA forms, and more. The chat feature is available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and is found on the NDVA homepage.